New Year

Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Happy Birthday Jacqueline!

Dear Jacqueline,
Today you turned a year old and your Mom and I could not be happier. We are so blessed to have two healthy and happy little girls. It seems like just yesterday that we were bringing you home from the hospital and now you are crawling, drinking through a straw, eating all kinds of foods, and saying things like dog and Dada.
When your Mom and I were trying to decide on a name, we both agreed you should be named after my Dad (or Poppie to you). We weren't sure that your Poppie was going to be around when you were born so we wanted him to know that we would never forget him and that his newest granddaughter would be named in his honor. When we first told your Poppie that you were on the way, he told us we would have to rent another grandfather because he couldn't handle two grand kids! Secretly though he was ecstatic and telling everyone he knew that you were coming and he couldn't wait to spoil two granddaughters. Sadly, your Poppie passed away 4 months before you arrived. However, I truly believe he met you in Heaven before you arrived in this world for us and he has given us little signs since the day you were born letting us know he is still here watching over our little family.
Right now you are the happiest baby and we love it. So many times you have been sick with ear infections and we never knew it because you never cried or fussed to give us a hint that you weren't feeling well. Instead you refused to sleep at night and would wake up screaming only to calm down when you got in bed with us. Speaking of which, I think your favorite place in the world is in Mommy and Daddy's bed snuggling. Many a mornings I have woken up, barely hanging on to the side of the bed because I am being pushed out by the 3 most beautiful girls in my life. Sure Mommy and Daddy talk a big game about sleeping in your own bed, but deep down inside we love snuggling too. Just recently you have begun sleeping through the night and your Mom is more ecstatic than anyone about that.
Some special traits you have right now are that you are almost always smiling, but you are also showing that you have a nice little temper if things don't go your way. I cannot tell you how excited I am as a Dad to see how both of my girls will be with their little teenage attitudes. It should be loads of fun! You also love our dogs, Tiger and Buddy. They always make you smile just when you see them. You cannot get enough of your big sister and when she is home, you have to be wherever she is. I hope you two remain this close for life.
Seriously though, we love you very much and would not trade you for the world. Not a day goes by that you don't bring a smile to someones face and for that I am grateful. Everyday I thank the Lord Almighty for being the Dad to two beautiful healthy little girls.
Happy Birthday Jac Jac. We love you!

Love,
Dada

4 comments:

There's No Place Like Home said...

So sweet, Steve! Happy Birthday!

MatersandMelons said...

Happy Birthday, Sweet Girl!

Megan Shropshire said...

Steve~My mom used to write me letters on my birthday when I was a baby as well! I remember when I found them in a memory box she had stashed in my closet. I sat on the floor and couldn't stop reading them. Your girls will do the same in years to come so keep this tradition up! Hope you are well! Love to all of the Olivers! :)

Emily said...

What a sweet letter! Have fun at the birthday party today!