New Year

Saturday, June 14, 2008

Happy Father's Day













So this is the first Father's Day without my Dad and the week leading up to it has been tough. For almost 29 years I was blessed with a wonderful father who would do anything in the world for his boys and his wife. Words cannot begin to express how much I loved him and how much I miss him. He taught me so much about life and just being a good person. I never saw my Dad talk down to anyone, no matter who they were. He treated everyone equally and with respect from the first time he met them. His work ethic was something you just don't see today and I am proud to call him my Dad.

Dad fought a long and very hard battle with cancer and that just showed how courageous he was. From day one when he was diagnosed, I never heard him complain about hurting or how he had been dealt a bum hand in life. He knew his remaining time was short and he wanted to to enjoy it. No doctor would ever thought he would make it 10 years, but he beat the odds. In those 10 years, he saw both of his boys graduate from college, he welcomed two daughter-in-laws into the family, and he was able to spoil one Ms. Delainey.

Delainey was his pride and joy and I know he would not have made it those last three years when the cancer came back without her. He didn't care how sick he was or how bad he was feeling, nothing was going to get his way of spoiling his little angel. In the three years he was able to spend with her, there were trips to the zoo, her first movie, going to see the circus, riding the train, going to the fair, feeding the ducks across the street, and the list could go on forever. One of the best memories I will have of my Dad and Delainey was the fair last year. Dad's cancer was beginning to spread and he was in a wheel chair whenever we had to go anywhere for a great distance. You could tell he was not feeling well that night, but for the last ride of the night, Delainey wanted to ride the merry-go-round and Dad made sure she was able too and he took all of his energy and rode right there next to her. He just beamed anytime he was around her and that night was no exception. I remember telling Laura, while we sat there watching them, I sure hope Delainey is old enough to remember this, because I know in my heart this will be the last time she will ride a merry-go-round with her Poppie.

He knew that his second grandaughter was going to be named after him and I know they met in Heaven before God sent her to be with us. When we told him that we were expecting again, he told us we were going to have to rent another grandfather, because he couldn't handle two, but I know he was looking forward to spoiling Jacqueline just as much.
Although he his no longer here with us physically, I know he will live on in our hearts forever. He was one special Dad and I am so glad he was mine. I wouldn't have traded him for the world.

We miss you Dad!!!!!!!

4 comments:

Emily said...

Steve-
I'm thinking about y'all today. That is a wonderful post about your dad. And the pictures are awesome. I hope you are having a great Father's Day with your family!
Happy Father's Day!
Emily

Margaret said...

Oh, Steve, I'm so sorry. :( Your post brought me to tears, and I can't imagine how tough your first Father's Day without your dad must have been. I know Delainey will treasure all of those wonderful memories she had with her Poppy.
Happy Father's Day!!!

Rose said...

He was the best brother in the world. I miss his wisdom terriably.

Micah said...

I was thinking about you yesterday. What a great post and what an awesome dad/granddad.
I remember seeing y'all going into the fair that night, the whole thing brought tears to my eyes but that part really tugged at my heart!