New Year

Sunday, June 8, 2008

What are the dogs barking at???



So we had just put the girls to bed on this Sunday evening and I was getting ready to do some work in the kitchen. Suddenly, I heard Buddy the Beagle raising hell in the backyard. So I knocked on the window in an effort to get him to stop barking, but like my wife and oldest daughter, he ignored me. So out the back door I went and saw Buddy the Beagle and Tiger each standing on opposite sides of an azalea bush. So I am thinking great they have cornered a baby rabbit or something. As I approach the bush, I quickly realize that ain't no rabbit, that is a big snake! I quickly ushered the boys into the house and told Laura of the situation outside. I then headed for the garage where I grabbed a shovel and a push broom and headed back for the bush.(My thought was to use the long end of the push broom to move the snake and then whack it with the shovel). As I approached the bush this time, I heard a slight rattle. After a call to my older brother, it was determined the best way to get rid of the snake was to continue with the original plan. As soon as I got closer he darted in a hole in the ground escaping the rash of the shovel. As the snake slipped into the hole, I noticed there was no rattle, so this clever snake figured out if he moved his tail in the dry leaves, he would scare the piss out of me and he was successful. Another conference call and the decision was made to pour gas in the hole and cover it with dirt. As soon as the gas hit the hole, the snake popped back out and determined I was still there and decided the gas was a better place for him. So I covered the hole and hopefully that snake is rotting down there. As my Poppop Oliver used to say, "DAMN A SNAKE!"

No comments: